|My Beautiful Signed Books|
As a child, nearly every book I read was about horses: The Black Stallion series, My Friend Flicka, Black Beauty, and the books by Marguerite Henry come to mind. I lived very dreamily in those books until I got my own horses. I rarely read anything but Arabian horse and animal husbandry books from my teens through my thirties. All that changed when a friend recommended this novel to me in 1992. I enjoyed reading it so much my predilection for fiction was born. I bought, read, and then donated hundreds of print novels before discovering the perfect format for me—eBooks, which I read on my Kindle Paperwhite. I've kept an electronic book database of the books I've read since 1996, and my current database contains over 4,200 books.
While no one read to me as a child, I began reading to my daughter before she was born. I continued reading to her until she was old enough to read to me!
I am happily (and almost exclusively) ensconced in the romance genre, although I do enjoy others. While I can't seem to help getting all dreamy over happily-ever-after endings I'm too much of a pragmatist to believe they exist anywhere other than in books. And even though I read novels featuring alpha males, erotica, and BDSM, I will always favor the respectful guys. (As evidenced by my "Best Book Boyfriends" List!)
My favorite categories in fiction are romantic suspense, contemporary romance, erotic romance, mysteries, suspense, thrillers, and historical. I also delve a little out of my fiction comfort zone to read select fantasy/paranormal books. When it comes to non-fiction I am most interested in history, maritime history, and biographies. Those must-read classics and some literature, that I somehow avoided earlier in life, are finally getting my attention. Better late than never, right?
My Book Preferences
- Life's too short to read books I don't like. Those one-star reads always end up as DNF (did not finish).
- A five star rating doesn't mean I think the book is perfect. It means I think it's amazing despite any "imperfections."
- When it comes to audiobooks, I read the Kindle version before listening, if possible. That way I can see the spellings of names, highlight, and notate the important things. It also helps me process the story better.
- My preference is to read a book on my Kindle first. If I enjoy it I may want the Audible version if the narration appeals to me. For those extra special books I'll also want a signed paperback. Those books that I have all three versions of I refer to as "trinity books" and are some of my very favorites!
- I enjoy dual timeline stories but have a strong aversion to extensive flashbacks.
- I will stop reading a book if there are too many characters introduced right away.
- I prefer snappy dialogue and little to no rambling inner monologues.
- As in real life, I absolutely deplore excessive SMS shorthand! Authors, please use your words and not just your letters. R, U, B, C, K, 2, 4 are NOT words.
- While I can accept a certain amount of the "eye dialect" style of writing, I get irritated when it goes to the extreme.
- I think that the hero and heroine should have more pages of story and dialogue than pages of descriptive sex.
- I always favor the "good guys" and don't want to spend much time in the point of view of the "bad guys." If the book ends in favor of the bad guys...I WILL HATE IT!
- While I find great writing inspiring, I genuinely enjoy a good read purely for entertaining escapism.
- Real life is tough. I need those happy endings!
- My Top Twenty-One All-Time Favorite Romance Reads
- A Reader's List of Literary Grievances
- Thirteen Questions About Books, Authors, and Reading
- Why We Read What We Read
My Years in Review
- Books I Read in 2021
- Books I Read in 2020
- Books I Read in 2019
- Books I Read in 2018
- Books I Read in 2017
- Books I Read in 2016
- Books I Read in 2015
- Books I Read in 2014
- Books I Read in 2013
- Books I Read in 2012
- Books I Read in 2011
- Goodreads Profile
- BookBub Profile
- Autographed Books and Swag (Flickr Photo Album)
- Authorgraphs and Autographs (Flickr Photo Album)
- Richmond Author Event - 2013 (Flickr Photo Album)
Indie Book Stores I've Ordered Signed Books From
- Bel Canto Books
- The Bookworm Box
- Pages: A Book Store
- The Poisoned Pen
- The Ripped Bodice
- Turn the Page Bookstore
- University Bookstore