|My 8 Generation Wordle|
Tending My Family Tree - An Introduction
Knowing so little of my ancestors and wanting my daughter to be more aware of hers set things in motion. My mother died when I was four years old, and my father was a career Navy man, which meant we rarely saw him. My older sisters and I grew up with our maternal grandmother and her second husband. I never spoke with either of my grandfathers and only met my paternal grandmother once. Living in California, we were quite a distance from the majority of my parent's families: my father's in Colorado, and my mother's, most of whom lived in Hawaii.
I started out by collecting information from several relatives in 1997. Next, I subscribed to the usual genealogy subscription services. I then imported several GEDCOMs from fellow researchers. I've acquired hundreds of vital records and obituaries. I first published the family tree online in 1999, hoping to connect with others researching the same people. I continue to utilize Internet sources and occasionally the Family History Library Catalog. I've made the tree available elsewhere (Geni) and continue to explore new avenues for feedback.
My father's and mother's backgrounds are vastly different. My father's family represented by the surnames: HILL, McINTYRE, KENYON, HURD, HANNAN, POWERS, KANE, and McCORMICK hail from England and Ireland. Most of the family seemed to settle in Rhode Island, New York, Ohio, and Illinois. Some, ultimately ending up in Colorado.
My mother was the third generation born in Hawaii and was of Portuguese and Chinese descent. Her father, a teenage stowaway to the Pennsylvania coal mines, was born near Lisbon. Her maternal grandfather emigrated from Hong Kong to the Kingdom of Hawaii and married a first-generation Portuguese Hawaiian, whose parents were from São Miguel, Azores. Variations in spelling aside the surnames of my mother's family are DeCOSTA, CAMÕES, LAU, CARVALHO, and DeMATTOS/MATTOS.
Paternal Surnames and Locations
BARBER - England > Rhode Island
CARD - Rhode Island
CHAMPLIN - England > Rhode Island
GARDINER - Rhode Island
HILL - New York > Medina, OH > Denver, CO > Boulder, CO
HANNAN - Ireland > St. Louis, MO > Chicago, IL > Denver, CO > Boulder, CO
HURD - New York > Connecticut > Medina, OH
JUCKET/JACKET/JACQUETTE - Massachusetts > New York > Medina, OH
KANE/O'KANE - Kerry County, Ireland > Illinois (DuPage County, Tonica Twp., Dixon Twp., Chicago)
KENYON - Lancashire, England > Rhode Island > New York > Medina, OH
KNAPP/KNAP - Massachusetts > New York > Medina, OH
McINTYRE - Vermont > New York > Ohio
McCORMICK - Ireland > Quebec, Canada > Illinois (DuPage and LaSalle Counties)
MERCHANT/MARCHANT - Connecticut > New York
O'DONNELL - Ireland
PRITCHARD - New York
WESCOTT - Rhode Island
Maternal Surnames and Locations
BORGES - São Miguel
BRAZIL - São Miguel
CARVALHO/CARVELHO - São Miguel > Honokaa, HI > Campbell, CA
De COSTA - Lisboa (area), Portugal > New York > Pennsylvania > Honolulu, HI
De MATTOS/MATTOS/MATOS - São Miguel > Hilo, HI
De MELLO - São Miguel
De SOUSA - São Miguel
Do COUTO - São Miguel
LAU CHONG - Hong Kong > Honokaa, HI > Honolulu, HI
De MEDEIROS - São Miguel
NUNES - São Miguel
- Copyright Fundamentals for Genealogy - An article dealing with copyright specifically for genealogists.
- National Association of Counties - Excellent for identifying cities and counties in the U.S.
- Social Security Numbers by state - Locate the state where a Social Security number was issued.
- Time and Date (Perpetual Calendar) - Need a calendar for any year, this is where you find it.
- Birth Date Calculator - Easily calculate a birth date based on age at death.
- RootsMagic Genealogy Software - A powerful and easy to use program filled with clever tools.
- The Legal Genealogist - Offering help to understand legal concepts and terminology for those researching their family history.
- Ancestry.com - The premier site for genealogy databases.
- Cyndi's List - A categorized & cross-referenced index to genealogical resources on the Internet.
- Family Search Internet Site - Indexes and millions of images available for download.
- Find A Grave - Find the graves of ancestors, create memorials, upload photos, etc.
- Fold3 - Search or browse for military records, historical documents, newspapers, person pages, and more.
- The United States Newspaper Project - Search for microfilmed newspapers available for Interlibrary loan or purchase.
- Castle Garden - Search immigration records (NYC) 1820 - 1913.
- Ellis Island - Search immigration records (NYC) 1892 - 1924.
- California Death Indexes, Records, & Obituaries - a starting point for California death records
- California Death Index, 1905-1939 - Index and images of death indexes at Family Search.
- California Death Index, 1940-1997 - Name index created by the Vital Statistics Section of the California Department of Health Services.
- Boulder County Clerk and Recorder Database - Search for county tax records, deeds, marriages, etc.
- Denver County CoGenWeb Site - A GenWeb site dedicated to Denver County, Colorado.
- Colorado State Archives - Legal and Historical Records, Online indexes, etc.
- Denver Public Library's Obituary Index - Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News 1936 through 2005 (incomplete).
- Hawaiian Genealogy Indexes - Marriage, Court, and Citizenship Records.
- Hawaii State Department of Health - How to order Vital Records for Genealogical Purposes.
- Illinois State Genealogical Society - Projects and links specific to Illinois.
- Illinois State Archives Death Certificate Database - Illinois Statewide Death Index for deaths before 1916.
- Illinois State Archives Death Certificate Database - Illinois Statewide Death Certificate Index from 1916 through 1950.
- Illinois State Archives Marriage Database - Illinois Statewide Marriage Index from 1763 through 1900.
- Newberry Library - The library's genealogical services and resources.
- Cook County Recorder - How to obtain genealogy records through the Cook County Recorder's Office.
- Cook County Clerk's Office - Search for vital records dating back to 1872.
- Medina County Obituary Index - Medina County District Library's Searchable Index.
- Cleveland Necrology Files - Death Notices and cemetery records from 1833-1975 from Cleveland Newspapers Sources.
- OHS Death Database - Ohio Historical Society's Death Certificate Database 1913 through 1944.
- Toledo Library - Toledo Blade Obituary Index 1837 to present.
- Ohio Department of Health - How to request vital records.
- Columbus Metropolitan Library - Columbus Newspaper Index of Obituaries from 1931 through 1997.
- Akron-Summit County Public Library - Index to Obituaries Published in the Akron Beacon Journal.
- Arizona Birth and Death Certificate Database - View certificates online.
- Massachusetts Archives - Archives and vital records database.
- Seeking Michigan - Search for historical documents, photographs, and maps.
- Minnesota Historical Society - Family history databases and resources.
- Azores GenWeb Site - An excellent resource for researching our Azorean Ancestors.
- Portuguese to English Dictionary - Also translates English to Portuguese.
- Ask About Ireland - Griffith's Valuation - Search the database by Family Name or Location.
- Irish Genealogy - More than 3,000,000 church records available for several counties and Dublin.