|Gooey Layered Goodie Bars|
Thursday, June 24, 2010
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
From Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.
Sunday, June 13, 2010
Smiling for the Camera (6/13/10)
How do we celebrate this second anniversary? Quietly. That's how. Lizzie appreciates quiet, and so do I.
So, how shall we celebrate it?
- Conversation and petting (she adores being talked to and loved up on)
- Early morning potty break (keeping her eye out for anything that might "get her")
- Clean and medicate her eye (that darn dry eye, poor baby)
- A good breakfast (healthy, holistic, and gone in under two minutes!)
- A nice walk (running, sniffing, and snapping at bugs included)
- Playtime (TOY TIME...hooray!)
- Potty and roll in the grass time
- A biscuit (a teeny-tiny yummy organic one)
- More conversation and petting (what sweet, perfectly mannered dog can get enough of that?)
- A good dinner (ditto the breakfast)
- Another potty break
- Another biscuit
- Even more 'convo' and petting
- Time up on the bed with Mama
- Happy dreams (complete with little woofs and toe twitching)
Nothing unusual, but always special with Lizzie. We are so thankful to have her with us!
Sunday, June 6, 2010
Photographs of relatives who were born and/or lived in The Hawaiian Islands.
Surnames: BAPTISTE, CABRAL, CARVALHO, CHAVES, CHONG, DeCOSTA, DeMATTOS/MATTOS, HILL, KENNEDY, LONG, MARTIN, MIRANDA, SWAN.
Friday, June 4, 2010
Adapted from a recipe in one of my vegan cookbooks. Serve over pasta, rice, or polenta and/or with a savory bread.
1 Tbs. olive oil
3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
2/3 cup carrot, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
2/3 cup zucchini, chopped
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, pureed
1 cup vegetable broth
Pepper (freshly ground is best)
4 - 8 ounces mushrooms (white or porcini), chopped
3 cups fresh baby spinach, lightly shredded
1 can (15.5 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1 tsp. fennel seeds, ground
2 Tbs. fresh parsley, minced
1. In a large covered skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and bell pepper. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes and add the garlic. Continue cooking for another 2 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
2. Add the zucchini, tomatoes, and broth. Bring them to a boil before reducing heat to low. Season with salt and pepper to taste, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in the mushrooms, spinach, beans, fennel, basil, marjoram, and parsley. Adjust the seasonings and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve right away.
Servings: Approximately 6.