This is a low fat vegan dish using Seitan instead of chicken and potatoes in lieu of a crust. If you have a stove top to oven safe skillet use that otherwise transfer from skillet to 8" x 11" baking dish lightly coated with olive oil cooking spray. Serving it with a spinach salad and whole grain toast makes for a delicious and nutritious meal.
2 large potatoes, peeled, boiled, cooled, and sliced
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup + 1 Tbs. flour
4 cups vegetable broth
1-1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped or sliced
1-1/2 cup celery, chopped or sliced
1-1/2 cup carrots, chopped or sliced
1/2 cup peas, frozen
1- 8 oz. pkg Seitan Cubes, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 - 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
to taste salt (optional)
to taste black pepper
Parmesan (vegan) Cheese (topping, after baking)
Paprika (topping, after baking)
1. Peel potatoes, slice in half crosswise and boil until tender. Let cool. Slice crosswise about 1/2 inch thick.
2. Heat oil in skillet; add onions and sauté until translucent.
3. Add flour and blend well. Gradually add broth, stirring over low heat until thick and smooth.
4. Add mushrooms, celery, and carrots; cook about 8 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
5. Add peas, seitan, lemon juice, tabasco, salt and pepper. Heat through on low heat.
6. If skillet is oven safe cover with a single layer of the sliced potatoes. If not, transfer to an oven safe baking dish before topping with the potatoes. Bake in a preheated 450° oven for about 20 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with Parmesan and Paprika before serving.
*thanks to my Facebook Friends for their recipe name suggestions!