|My Pretty Purple Tools!|
The original meme may have been around the Web for awhile, but Thomas MacEntee adapted What I Do for those of us with a keen interest in genealogy.
This is a fairly comprehensive list of the things I use to research, record, and publish my family history.
* Hardware: Dell Studio 1558 Laptop Intel Core i5-430M 2.26GHz with Windows 7 and loads of other amazing features.
(Without my computer god husband keeping our network going I wouldn't be able to accomplish much. Thanks, Honey!)
* External storage: Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 750 GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive
* Backup: Western Digital My Book World Edition II - 4 TB (2 x 2 TB) Network Attached Storage
* Firewall: Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
* Virus protection: Webroot Anti-Virus w/Spy Sweeper
* Spyware: see virus protection
* File cleaner: Disk Cleanup
* Printer: Dell V725w Wireless All In One Inkjet Printer
* Camera: Olympus SP510UZ but mostly my iPhone
* Phone: iPhone 5 16GB
* Mobile media: 64 GB iPod touch 4th generation
* Music player: see mobile media
* Car audio: the amazing system that came with our vehicle - AM/FM, CD, cassette. I use a Belkin iPod Mobile Cassette Adapter and Belkin TuneBase FM to play music and videos (while charging) from my iPod touch.
* eBook Reader: iPod touch (Kindle, iBooks, Nook, and Overdrive apps)
* Browser: Firefox v. 20.0.1 and Chrome v. 27.0
* Blog: Blogger (one public, one private)
* RSS: Protopage
* FTP: no longer needed (using Blogger)
* Text editor: Dida
* Graphics: Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3
* Screen capture: using what I have - Prnt Scrn and paste into PaintShop Pro
* Social media: Geni, Flickr, YouTube
* Social bookmarking: Diigo
* Social profile: Facebook and Google+
* URL shortener: bit.ly
* Office suite: Microsoft Office 2010 and Google Drive
* E-mail: Gmail (primary) and Ymail (for Yahoo! services)
* Calendar: Google (family), iPhone (personal), and RootsMagic (genealogy) calendars
* Accounting: multi-column pad (all I really need)
* Web conferencing: Skype or Google Video Chat
* PDF generator: anyone know of a free (or reasonably priced) PDF converter that does web pages?
* Genealogy database: RootsMagic 4 (PC) and To-Go. Shrubs app on my iPod.
* Genealogy tools/sites: Fold3, Family Search Labs, Find A Grave, online perpetual calendar, online county directory, online birth date calculator, character map, Notepad, Word, Dida, PaintShop Pro, RootsMagic
* Other tech stuff: BookCollector software (for PC and iOS) for of all the books I read/own, including my history and genealogy books.